12th Annual Book Drive
The kick off for the twelfth annual book drive by Worcester: the City that Reads has started. The Committee is looking for books (Pre-k to grade 8) for summer reading.
The group was founded by John and Anne-Marie Monfredo twelve years ago to promote literacy in the community, put books into the hands of children who lack books in their homes, and to promote the importance of being a life time reader. In eleven years over 480,000 books have been collected. The goal is to reach the 500,000 book collection this year.
After the drive in May the books will be distributed to the schools and various agencies in Worcester during the week of June 4th as part of the "Reading In Our City Week."
Please donate a new or gently used books, Pre-kindergarten to grade 8, at the following sites from now to May 8th.
- People’s United People’s Bank ( (all six city branches) including the town of Shrewsbury,
- Worcester Public Library
- Commerce Bank (all four city branches) including Holden
- Bay State Savings Bank (all branches)
- TD Bank on West Boylston Street
- Stop and Shop on Lincoln Street
- Stop and Shop on Grafton Street
- Stop and Shop on West Boylston Street
- Shaws Market on West Boylston Street
- RSVP and the Senior Center on Vernon Street
- Worcester Credit Union
- Starbucks Coffee on one West Boylston Street and in Auburn
- Panera’s on West Boylston Street
- Austin Liquor at Gold Star Blvd
- Jewish Community Center on Salisbury Street
- Leader’s Way – Kung Fu Academy on Burncoat Street
- Greendale YMCA
- Main Street YMCA
- Bagel Inn on Main Street in Holden, Ma.
- St. Vincent’s Hospital at the entrance door on Summer Street
- Summit Elder Care on Grafton Street
- Worcester Public Schools School Committee Office – 20 Irving Street
- Worcester City Hall at the City Manager’s Office
- Anne’s Books Shop on James Street in Worcester
Other sites assisting in their own book drive are as follows:
- Houghton Mifflin Hartcourt Publishing Company
- Salvation Army
- UMass Medical
- UMass Memorial
- Worcester Public School High Schools... Burncoat High, Doherty High, North High, South High, Claremont Academy, University Park Campus and Worcester Technical High.
- Bancroft School
- Holy Name High School
- St. John’s High School
- Notre Dame Academy
- Worcester Academy
- Venerini Academy
- Boy Scouts
- Girl Scouts
- Hanover Insurance
- Harvard Pilgrim
- Little leagues of Worcester
- UNUM insurance
- Fairlawn Rehabilitation Hospital
- Wilson Language Training Center
- The following colleges and universities: WPI, Clark University, Becker College, Worcester State University, Anna Maria College, Assumption College, and Mass. College of Pharmacy, and Salter College, and Quinsigamond Community College.
- AFL/CIO Labor
- Northboro Junior Women’s Club
A LISTING OF THESE SITES AND OTHER ADDITIONAL SITES CAN BE ACCESSED BY GOING TO THE FOLLOWING WEBSITES: www.worcpublib.org
For more information, or if other schools or businesses are interested in helping out please call John or Anne-Marie Monfredo at 508 853-3444. Remember, everyone can help in this most worthwhile community service project and bring the joy of reading to every child for NO skill is more crucial to the future of a child or to a community, than literacy. Please be part of this project!